Perfect for the holidays — try this tasty dessert recipe from Chef Mark –you’ll love the aroma even before it comes out of the oven.
- 4 cups whipping cream
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 8 large egg yolks
- 1 Tablespoon of vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Large pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place 11×8-inch (8-cup capacity) shallow ceramic baking dish in roasting pan.
- Mix cream and sugar in medium saucepan.
- Bring to simmer, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Whisk yolks in medium bowl. Gradually whisk in hot cream mixture, adding nutmeg, and salt.
- Transfer to baking dish.
- Pour enough hot water into roasting pan to come halfway up sides of dish. Carefully transfer pan to oven.
- Bake until custard is set around edges but center still jiggles slightly when dish is gently shaken, about 40 minutes.
- Remove ceramic dish from water. Chill custard on rack until cold, at least 3 hours.
- Preheat broiler.
- Press brown sugar through strainer over custard to cover completely and evenly.
- Watching closely, broil custard 4 to 6 inches from heat source until sugar bubbles and caramelizes, about 2 minutes.
This makes one large crème brûlée for sharing.
Prepare the custard up to a day ahead, and chill the topping for at least one hour.
Chill custard until topping hardens, at least 1 hour and up to 3 hours. Serve cold.